DotNetNuke tutorials, tips and tricks

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

DotNetNuke Modules

Well it’s been a busy two weeks, I’ve been contacting DotNetNuke Developers who have created modules that work with images, while also contacting various people for issue 3. I’m not going to say yet what this covers, but it is very exciting!

I now have a range of modules to review from galleries to random image modules.

One thing that has really surprised me over the past month and a half is the initial quality of the modules I have been reviewing – especially with the Snowcovered modules that you purchase.

I am conducting very detailed reviews, checking all of the functions and making sure that the module operates as you would expect, while also offering further tips that may help users to get the most from the module.

During these reviews, I have come across occassional bugs, which really surprised me. I always have a high expectation when I buy software that the product is completely 100% bug free. (I have found this rarely to be the case however no matter what type of software you buy - ie. Microsoft Windows!)

The service I am providing to the DotNetNuke community could however help with the quality of the modules – why?

Well, I always assume that the “Bug” is my user error and that I haven’t set the module up correctly. I contact the developer with a particular question, and if it turns out it is a bug, in most cases I have received an updated PA file within the day. I regard this as a fantastic service from the developer.

Of course, I then continue my review, and the bugs do not show up in the review and the community are presented with a fully working module which does exactly what they expect.

I guess bugs are missed by Developers, in all software types and if I can help the Developers in this way I think it’s a good thing. There are not many industries where you can approach the original software developer, report a bug and have it fixed in a day, and that is one thing that I especially think is important about this community, we can talk to each other, share ideas, and offer help to each other, this is something that I think will make DotNetNuke strong and help it to survive over a long period of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home